The building was constructed in 1936 under the Works Progress Administration (WPA) program. The exterior walls and window surrounds are limestone. Access to the main level is from the Southwest, facing Edgcumbe-Montreal intersection. Serpentine limestone retaining walls allow natural light to enter the lower level on three sides.
Roof: The original roof was composed of Italian clay tile, pitched along the longitudinal axis of the building. Years of neglect and exposure to the elements resulted in deterioration to both roof tiles and interior. In 2015, at the urging of FHA and the HP community, the remaining Italian tile was removed and a shingled roof was installed to control the continued blight of this historic structure.
Above Grade: The 1,500 square-foot main floor sits at street level. Interior finishes include concrete floors, stone clad walls and exposed wood structure with some acoustical ceiling tiles. There is one large open space with two 4’-0” x 6’-0” rooms, once used for storage and supplies, above the east and west stairs. At the northeast is a double-door opening to a 13’ x 48’ stone veranda overlooking the park.
Lower Level: The lower level is at grade on the northwest, northeast, and southeast sides of the site, approximately twelve feet below the main floor. The structure is largely poured-in-place concrete. Formerly this level was programmed with Men’s and Women’s dressing rooms, restrooms, and showers. Doors to the northwest and southeast lead outside to stone patios, steps lead to a grass lawn.
Note: There are no utilities running to the building, and there are no fixtures in the building.